Refreshing Purslane Salad
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 to 1 pound purslane, leaves and tender stems
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
The tart and lemony purslane makes a wonderful salad base. A sturdy green, purslane doesn’t wilt easily, so don’t be afraid to dress the whole salad before serving! Great as an appetizer or a side.
Recipe adapted from honest-food.net
- Slice the onion thinly and place in a small bowl. Mix a generous pinch of salt into the red wine vinegar; pour the salt and vinegar mixture over the red onion. Toss well, coating the onion evenly, and then set the onion aside to soak for about 15 minutes while you prep the other ingredients.
- Place purslane, cucumber, and tomato into a salad bowl and gently toss to distribute the ingredients. Drizzle the olive oil over the purslane mixture and then add the dried oregano, continually tossing to coat the whole salad evenly.
- Pour the onion and vinegar mixture from the small bowl into the salad bowl, tossing thoroughly. Finally, crumble in the feta cheese and give the salad a final toss.