Fresh Tomato Gazpacho
- 5 pounds ripe tomatoes, any color
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried or 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet bell pepper, red or yellow, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped, seeded cucumber
- 1-2 jalapeño chiles, seeded and minced
Julia’s note: I love cucumbers and red bell peppers in my gazpacho, if you prefer the bitter tang to a green bell pepper you can add that as a garnish or in the blender stage. Adapt this recipe to what’s in your garden/fridge.
Accompaniments: seeded, chopped red bell pepper, diced avocado, fresh chopped cilantro leaves, garlic croutons, thinly sliced radishes, thinly slivered cabbage, lime wedges, creme fraiche
Seed and finely chop one tomato; reserve. Coarsely chop remaining tomatoes. Combine these with garlic in a blender (you may need to do this in two batches)-process until smooth. Press through a sieve into a large bowl; discard seeds. Whisk lime juice, oil, vinegar, salt and oregano into tomato mixture. Stir in reserved chopped tomato, green onions, red pepper, celery, cucumber and chilies. Refrigerate, covered, at least 4 or up to 24 hrs to blend flavors. At serving time: Stir soup well and ladle into chilled bowls. Pass accompaniments to be added according to individual taste.