- 12 oz small tomatoes, cored, halved, thinly sliced
- 6 cups spinach leaves, stems trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped pitted black brine-cured olives (such as Kalamata)
- 1/4 cup large fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- fresh juice of one lemon
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- (4) 5 to 6-inch diameter pita bread rounds, toasted
From Bon Appetit, May 1995
Place tomato slices in a strainer; drain for 15 minutes.
Combine tomatoes, spinach, cucumber, feta cheese, olives and basil in large bowl. Whisk 1/4 cup olive oil, 5 teaspoons lemon juice and minced garlic in small bowl to blend. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Cut pita bread rounds in half crosswise. Divide salad mixture among 8 pita halves and serve.
- 5 pounds ripe tomatoes, any color
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried or 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet bell pepper, red or yellow, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped, seeded cucumber
- 1-2 jalapeño chiles, seeded and minced
Julia’s note: I love cucumbers and red bell peppers in my gazpacho, if you prefer the bitter tang to a green bell pepper you can add that as a garnish or in the blender stage. Adapt this recipe to what’s in your garden/fridge.
Accompaniments: seeded, chopped red bell pepper, diced avocado, fresh chopped cilantro leaves, garlic croutons, thinly sliced radishes, thinly slivered cabbage, lime wedges, creme fraiche
Seed and finely chop one tomato; reserve. Coarsely chop remaining tomatoes. Combine these with garlic in a blender (you may need to do this in two batches)-process until smooth. Press through a sieve into a large bowl; discard seeds. Whisk lime juice, oil, vinegar, salt and oregano into tomato mixture. Stir in reserved chopped tomato, green onions, red pepper, celery, cucumber and chilies. Refrigerate, covered, at least 4 or up to 24 hrs to blend flavors. At serving time: Stir soup well and ladle into chilled bowls. Pass accompaniments to be added according to individual taste.