Greek Salad Sandwich
- 12 oz small tomatoes, cored, halved, thinly sliced
- 6 cups spinach leaves, stems trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped pitted black brine-cured olives (such as Kalamata)
- 1/4 cup large fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- fresh juice of one lemon
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- (4) 5 to 6-inch diameter pita bread rounds, toasted
From Bon Appetit, May 1995
Place tomato slices in a strainer; drain for 15 minutes.
Combine tomatoes, spinach, cucumber, feta cheese, olives and basil in large bowl. Whisk 1/4 cup olive oil, 5 teaspoons lemon juice and minced garlic in small bowl to blend. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Cut pita bread rounds in half crosswise. Divide salad mixture among 8 pita halves and serve.